About Laura Edlund
I am a freelance writer and editor who specializes in plain language, stories, and education.
I work for a variety of clients—institutes, professionals, governments and non-governmental agencies (NGOs), publishers, corporations, and individuals.
I provide structural and stylistic edits, plain-language edits, edits of technical writing (including standards) for clear communication, manuscript evaluations, writing, consultations, and other services to meet client needs. I love good stories, respect writers and subject matter experts, have decades of experience in educational publishing, dive into complex and visually rich publications, and have a special interest in Indigenous Peoples, climate change, and social justice. I am a settler Canadian and work with clients around the world.
To each project, I bring the experience of working on staff, freelance, and in business. As well, I am committed to continual professional development, including committee work, conferences, and seminars.
Clients (present and past) and employers (past) include commissions of public inquiry, the Image Centre at Toronto Metropolitan University and MIT Press, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the Art Canada Institute, Kativik Ilisarniliriniq (the school board of Nunavik, Inuit territory in northern Quebec), Pearson Canada, the Insurance Institute of Canada, Scholastic Canada, Inhabit Education, GoodMinds, Page Two Strategies, JUMP Math, Oxford University Press, Annick Press, Nelson, Formac Publishing, government departments, non-profits, corporations, and individual authors.
Recent projects include:
- structural and stylistic editing for plain language and accessibility
- editing very technical publications for diverse audiences including subject specialists and the public
- working with teams of multilingual subject matter experts to meet their publication goals
- researching and developing reports for and proposals to governments
- developing projects in English for translation and publication in multiple languages
- editing and proofreading publications with fine art, photos, maps, charts, and technical diagrams
- manuscript evaluations, structural, style, and copy-edits for fiction and creative nonfiction writers
- the full publication process—from concept development and research to writing, editing, review process, visual concept and design, to photo selection and art approval, and finally proofreading and publication
- regional, Canadian, American, and international readerships