About Laura Edlund—Writing, Editing & Communication Services
The short story: I write and edit—for readers, for writers, for publishers and other businesses, and for non-profits—from Toronto and around the world, and have been doing this for over 25 years! I blog sporadically, so please check out my latest offering.
The long story: Certified for excellence, I bring experience, efficiency, and enthusiasm to clients’ editing and writing projects. My specialties are fiction, clear language, plain language, and working with subject experts on informational and educational publications. For over 25 years, I have worked in Toronto and (virtually) around the world for companies, individuals, and organizations, including many Canadian publishers. For a quick look at me as a writer, editor, and blogger, see testimonials or my most recent blogs—for example, writing (and editing) for the target reader, tips for starting out working with editors, and tips for hiring freelance editors. I am a member of the Editors’ Association of Canada (EAC), an EAC-Certified Structural and Stylistic Editor (as my Online Directory of Editors entry shows), a member of the Plain Language Association International (PLAIN), and a participant in various writing and editing social media groups.
For outstanding service, call me about…
- these skills and services—writing, ghostwriting, editing, research, proofreading, manuscript evaluations, and writer support
- these forms and platforms—books (traditional and e-books), manuals, web sites, illustrated books, articles, fact sheets, and web sites
Recent subjects have ranged from math and financial literacy to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit perspectives and history, education, rebellions, aging, Shakespeare, and fashion as well as (in fiction) murder , family secrets, aliens, pirates, and science nerds in love.
Growing interests are humorous fiction, editing materials about Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias for patients and caregivers, and editing for young adults.
Recent projects have involved:
- editing for clear, plain language that engages the target reader/user
- manuscript evaluations, structural, style, and copy edits for fiction writers
- working with subject experts to craft publications about their expertise for specific audiences and goals
- working with multilingual, ESL/ELL authors and for multilingual audiences
- structural and line editing for web sites
- info-graphics, including maps, charts, and diagrams
- the full publication process—from concept development and research to writing, editing, review process, visual concept and design, to photo selection and art approval, and finally proofreading and publication
- Canadian, American, and international readerships
- working with large teams, multiple reviews, and complex submissions (e.g., for tendered publications with diverse stakeholders)