The short story: I provide manuscript evaluations, developmental edits, consultations, and other services for freelance clients. I love good stories, dive into complex and visually rich publications, and have a special interest as an ally in reconciliation in Canada, Indigenous Peoples, and social justice.
The long story: To each project, I bring the experience of working on staff, freelance, and in business. From 2015 to August 2019, I worked as senior editor, writer, and educational publishing consultant for Inhabit Education. It was an honour and humbling to work with language specialists and other colleagues in the North on an outstanding Inuit publishing and Indigenous language rejuvenation initiative. Other past employers and clients include Pearson Canada, GoodMinds, Annick Press, Page Two Strategies, JumpMath, Oxford University Press, Nelson, Scholastic Canada, government departments, non-profits, and individual authors.
Certified for excellence, I bring experience, education, efficiency, and enthusiasm to editing and writing projects. For over 30 years, I have worked in Toronto and (virtually) around the world for companies, government agencies, individuals, and organizations, including many Canadian publishers. I am a member of Editors Canada, a member of the Plain Language Association International (PLAIN), involved in continual professional development, and available to speak about professional editing.
Recent projects include:
- researching and developing reports for and proposals to governments
- maps, charts, and technical diagrams
- research, writing, and editing complex multilingual publications for the North
- editing for clear, plain language that engages the intended reader/user
- manuscript evaluations, structural, style, and copy-edits for fiction and creative nonfiction writers
- the full publication process—from concept development and research to writing, editing, review process, visual concept and design, to photo selection and art approval, and finally proofreading and publication
- regional, Canadian, American, and international readerships
- working with large teams, multiple reviews, and complex submissions