About Laura Edlund—Writing, Editing & Communication Services
The short story: I write and edit—for readers, for writers, for publishers and other businesses, for government agencies, and for non-profits—from Toronto and around the world, and I have been doing this for nearly 30 years! I blog sporadically, so please check out my latest offering. Currently, I am available on a freelance basis for manuscript evaluations, editing, and consultations.
The long story: Certified for excellence, I bring experience, efficiency, and enthusiasm to editing and writing projects. My specialties are fiction, clear language, plain language, and working with subject experts on informational and educational publications. For nearly 30 years, I have worked in Toronto and (virtually) around the world for companies, government agencies, individuals, and organizations, including many Canadian publishers. For a quick look at me as a writer, editor, and blogger, see testimonials or my most recent blogs—for example, writing (and editing) for the target reader, tips for starting out working with editors, and tips for hiring freelance editors. I am a member of the Editors’ Association of Canada (EAC), an EAC-Certified Structural and Stylistic Editor (as my Online Directory of Editors entry shows), a member of the Plain Language Association International (PLAIN), and a participant in various writing and editing social media groups.
Recent subjects have ranged from literacy at home and school, Arctic ecology, and on-line videos used in classrooms to Indigenous perspectives and history, rebellions, aging, Shakespeare, and fashion as well as (in fiction) murder , family secrets, aliens, pirates, and science nerds in love. Recent projects have involved:
- research, writing, and editing complex multilingual publications for the North
- editing for clear, plain language that engages the target reader/user
- manuscript evaluations, structural, style, and copy edits for fiction writers
- working with subject experts to craft publications about their expertise for specific audiences and goals
- working with multilingual, ESL/ELL authors and for multilingual audiences
- structural and line editing for web sites
- info-graphics, including maps, charts, and diagrams
- the full publication process—from concept development and research to writing, editing, review process, visual concept and design, to photo selection and art approval, and finally proofreading and publication
- Canadian, American, and international readerships
- working with large teams, multiple reviews, and complex submissions (e.g., for tendered publications with diverse stakeholders)